Preserving Bone with Autotome - Southlake, TX
The importance of how teeth are removed is becoming increasingly important as the preservation of bone during this process directly affects the success of subsequent restorative procedures. At the dental office of Ravi Doctor, DDS, we recommend preserving the bone with Autotome in Southlake, TX.
- The Autotome™ saves time on simple and surgical tooth extractions, commonly achieved by grasping a tooth with forceps and/or removing bone and sectioning the tooth. The Autotome™ allows expansion of the socket without the bone loss typical of standard extraction techniques.
- The tooth is then luxated back and forth until the socket is expanded and the tooth can be extracted while simultaneously separating the periodontal ligament fibers joining the tooth and bone. Alternatively, the tooth and/or tooth roots can be removed with an elevator.
- Recently hand Periotomes and dental elevators are used with a mallet to reduce the loss of bone during extractions.
- The use of periotome or dental elevator will preclude the necessity of reflecting a flap.
- Provides all of the clinical advantages of hand Periotomes over the forceps bone removal technique with the added benefit of automating and precisely controlling the exerted force.
- Eliminates the need for an additional set of hands needed for 'tapping', as in the Manual (or hand operated) Periotomes to achieve adequate force to expand the periodontal ligament space between the tooth and alveolar bone.
- Even when a mallet is not required the chance of exerting too much force and causing accidental damage to surrounding tissue is higher with the manual version compared with the precisely repeatable Autotome™™ Periotome.