Did you know that June is not only home to Father’s Day, it’s also Men’s Health Month? When it comes to taking care of your overall well-being, this mid-year mark is the perfect time to make sure everything about you is in tip-top shape – including your smile. That’s why you should use the tips below from your dentist in Southlake to keep yourself, or your favorite men in your life, healthy. In this post, learn about the gender-specific oral health conditions that affect you – and what you can do about them – from Dr. Ravi Doctor.
What Special Issues Do Men’s Smiles Face?
There are several issues, both behavioral and innate, gender-based, that affect men, including:
- Prevention – Let’s be honest, men are notorious for neglecting their health until major issues arise. That’s why it’s so important to see your dentist at least every six months. A professional dental exam only takes a few minutes, but can detect more than 120 medical conditions.
- Oral Cancer – Research shows that men are more susceptible to oral cancer. Scientist are still determining the reasons, but some theories include higher rates of smoking and tobacco use in men, rather than women. And, if you’re a pipe or cigar smoker, your risk increases dramatically. Talk with Dr. Doctor if you need help quitting – there’s nothing manly about oral cancer, so let’s fight the good fight together.
- Gum Disease – Since men are greatly impacted by heart disease, and the link between gum disease and heart disease is well-known, men can reduce their risk of cardiac events by brushing at least twice daily, and flossing at least once a day. And, when you come in for a professional cleaning, our team will be able to remove the plaque and tartar that no at-home oral hygiene regimen can take care of.
- Sleep Apnea – Many men snore, which is not only annoying to your partner, but can lead to weight gain, stroke, heart attacks, fatal car accidents, and sudden death. If you exhibit this symptom – or any of the signs of sleep apnea in this list – talk with our team about getting tested and how our comfortable, custom oral appliances can help you sleep like a baby again.
- Dental Anxiety – Did you know that up to 75% of Americans are affected by some level of dental anxiety, fears, or phobias? That’s right – even championship athletes like LeBron James deal with this common problem. If you’ve been putting off dental care because of past dental trauma or the idea that being afraid of the dentist is unmanly, you don’t have to suffer anymore. There’s nothing to be embarrassed about – we’re here to help – and we’ll never judge you or think less of you. And, since we take patient confidentiality seriously, the only person who’ll know you get stressed out in the dentist’s chair is you.
So, if you’re wondering, ‘What dentist near me participates in Men’s Health Month?’ Dr. Ravi Doctor does! Schedule your appointment to make the most of your smile – and your overall health – this June!