Millions of people around the world wish they had straighter teeth. They would like to align their smiles as conveniently and inexpensively as possible, which is a big reason why SmileDirectClub is so popular. Are you considering using this teledentistry service? It would be wise to think again. In this article, we’ll talk about some of the big drawbacks to SmileDirectClub and discuss why you should opt for Invisalign in Southlake, TX instead.
Back in February, CNBC reported that Dr. Jeffrey A. Sulitzer, SmileDirectClub’s chief clinical officer, could lose his California dental license. The news broke after the state attorney general filed a 24-page complaint against Sulitzer.
The complaint contains various accusations against Sulitzer, including:
- Violating California state laws
- Defrauding state dental regulators (by aiding the unlicensed practice of dentistry in the state of California)
- Acting with gross negligence toward patients in his efforts to help SmileDirectClub grow its business
Of course, it should be noted that SmileDirectClub’s legal team is fighting the accusations, and a final verdict on the case has not yet been reached. However, the fact that the complaint came to light in the first place should raise a major red flag for anyone who is thinking about becoming a customer of SmileDirectClub.
It is also worth mentioning that California is not the first state where serious complaints have been aimed at SmileDirectClub. In fact, complaints have been filed in more than a dozen states. Thus far, all of the complaints have been rejected, but their mere existence establishes a trend of ongoing dissatisfaction with SmileDirectClub from both dental professionals and consumers.
Is SmileDirectClub Safe?
Many experienced dentists doubt the safety of SmileDirectClub, and rightly so. Their system deprives patients of in-person support while they are straightening their teeth. Therefore, patients cannot truly rely on SmileDirectClub to get the help they need if they run into an unexpected problem with their aligners. Some people who have used SmileDirectClub have even complained that instead of helping them achieve their desired results, the aligners actually ended up making their teeth worse than they were to begin with.
Why Invisalign Is Better
Would you like to use clear aligners to straighten your teeth? It is best to opt for Invisalign instead of SmileDirectClub for several reasons:
- Your Invisalign treatment will be personally overseen by a skilled cosmetic dentist in Southlake, TX. It will be easy for you to reach your dentist if you have concerns or questions about your treatment.
- Invisalign has a long history of success. Invisalign has been around for more than two decades, and it has helped countless patients to achieve outstanding results.
- It could save you money. Invisalign has a higher upfront cost than SmileDirectClub. However, if SmileDirectClub worsens the alignment of your teeth, there is no telling how much you might have to spend to correct the problems it caused.
On the surface, SmileDirectClub may seem appealing, but it is not worth the risk! Instead, opt for a proven treatment from a dentist you can trust.
About the Author
Dr. Ravi Doctor is a general dentist in the Southlake, TX area. He has completed extensive training that enables him to provide numerous services, including Invisalign. If you would like to speak to Dr. Doctor about straightening your teeth or making other aesthetic improvements to your smile, contact our team at 817-328-2400