Aligners for Invisalign in Southlake are designed to be difficult to see, and their removable nature makes them extremely convenient. Under normal circumstances, these qualities are both desirable. However, it might also mean that you could lose track of one your aligners relatively easily. What should you do if that happens to you? Let’s talk about some simple steps you can take to get your treatment back on track as soon as possible.
Double-Check Places Where Your Aligner Might Be
Hopefully, your aligner hasn’t gone too far. Some of the best places to check if you misplace an aligner include:
- The trash can (some people wrap their aligner in a napkin while they eat a meal, which makes it easy for it to get thrown away)
- Couch cushions
- Between the seats in your car
- Other places you have been in the past few hours
- Underneath any chairs or other furniture where you often sit
Call Your Dentist
If your reasonable efforts to find your aligner don’t bear any fruit, it’s time to call your dentist. Explain that you lost one of your aligners, and they will tell you what you should do next. They might advise you to go back to wearing a previous aligner for a few days until you can get a replacement for the one you lost. Or, if you were only a few days away from being able to move onto a new aligner, they might tell you to begin using it a few days early (you shouldn’t make this decision on your own because changing aligners too soon could cause pain and other complications).
Do not delay getting in touch with your dentist in Southlake. The longer you hesitate to call, the greater the chance that your overall treatment timeline will be extended due to your lost aligner.
Tips for Keeping Track of Your Aligners
Anyone can lose an aligner. It’s completely understandable if it happens to you. But you can reduce your chances of losing one if you take some simple precautions:
- Do not wrap your aligner in a napkin while you are eating.
- Keep your aligner in your mouth as much as possible.
- Invest in a designated storage case that will be your aligner’s official home when you are eating or cleaning your teeth.
- Do not place your aligner anywhere a curious dog or cat might be able to easily grab it.
Although losing an Invisalign aligner can be a little stressful, it’s no reason to panic. Your dentist is ready to help you deal with the problem and get back on the road to a beautiful, straight, and healthy smile.
Meet the Author
Dr. Ravi Doctor is an award-winning dentist in Southlake who is certified by the American Academy of Orthodontics. He offers Invisalign clear braces, ClearCorrect, and other teeth-straightening options. If you have questions about clear aligners or what you can do to make your treatment go as smoothly as possible, Dr. Doctor and our team are ready to help. You can get in touch with us at 817-328-2400.